23-25 Nov, 2023 | Diamond Jubilee Hall, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
WHATSAPP +91-9560037594
WHATSAPP +91-7827202718
Call Us : 7827202718

Tanzania Food & Beverage Market

Estimated 30% jump in Tanzanian food imports in 2019 from 2018

900K Tonnes of Wheat demand met from Imports

230K Tones of Rice imported to meet 95% of demand

42% of sugar demand met through imports

Growing middle class with urbanisation key to rising FMCG and Processed food demand
Processed and packed food items, Beverages is 62% of Tanzanian food imports

Edible Oil & fats alone is one-third of the food imports & half of processed food imports

  • The current production of wheat in Tanzania is about 100,000 tons per year accounts for only 10 percent of total domestic consumption with the remaining 90 percent supplied by Russia, Australia, Ukraine, Argentina, Canada. Tanzania’s imports wheat worth an estimated $225 million USD per year.
  • Edible oils and Fats, mainly Palm oil and its fractions is the second largest imported food item in Tanzania, imported in both processed and semi-processed form, 66% of the edible oil and fats demand is met from imports, and currently the 70% of the supplies is from Indonesia, followed by Malaysia, Kenya, Ghana and others.
  • There is sugar demand gap 42% met by about USD 132 million worth imports, primarily Brazil and India. Because Tanzania’s sugar tariff at 10% is lower than the EAC common external tariff of 25-100%.
  • Major agricultural exports include tea, coffee, tobacco, cotton, and cashew nuts. In addition, some farmers raise livestock including cattle, goats, sheep, pigs and chicken as well as small numbers of turkeys, ducks, rabbits, donkeys and horses.
  • A large proportion of the agricultural harvest is lost because farmers cannot get their produce to the market and/or are unable to store their products after harvest. Cold-storage facilities are practically non-existent or subject to unstable electricity supply.
  • Tanzania’s export trade is largely opportunistic, although previously had periodic export bans have discouraged traders from seeking large export contracts and encouraged illegal routes, but now the situations are quite encouraging that Tanzania is an import and export channel for many products, including food items to the East African countries.

ProductImports in USD Mn 2021Top 5 Suppliers
Palm oil and its Fractions 213.58Indonesia ($168.75Mn), Malaysia ($36.2Mn), Kenya ($3.2Mn), Ghana ($2.6Mn)
Wheat & Meslin 222.76 Russia ($95.1Mn), Australia ($48.7Mn), Ukraine ($41.1Mn), Argentina ($25.6Mn), Canada ($9.1Mn)
Sugar 132.13 UAE ($32.97Mn), India ($22.21Mn), Saudi Arabia ($20.81Mn), Thailand ($16.48Mn), Uganda ($13.99Mn)
Beverages and spirits 57.80 South Africa ($18.32Mn), Netherlands ($10.02Mn), Namibia ($5.49Mn), Uganda ($5.21Mn), France ($4.6Mn)
Animal fodder from food wastes 41.24 Zambia ($21.38Mn), Malawi ($6.97Mn), South Africa ($3.1Mn), China ($2.1Mn), India($0.9Mn))
Flours, processed milled cereals, flakes 39.45 Belgium ($12.7Mn), Turkey ($8.9Mn), Zimbabwe ($3.8Mn), France ($3.3Mn), Pakistan ($2.6Mn)
Sugar confectionery 17.84 Kenya ($14.01Mn), China ($1.18Mn), Zambia ($0.94Mn), India ($0.33Mn), Colombia ($0.33Mn)
Processed food, Bakery Biscuits 16.53 India ($3.6Mn), South Africa ($3.0Mn), Iran ($2.2Mn), Kenya ($1.7Mn), Mexico ($1.6Mn)


  • Currently, the majority of crops in Tanzania are marketed in their raw forms, while value-addition to agricultural products is mostly on a small-scale secondary level.
  • Still, the Tanzanian agriculture value-added net output increased by 46% during the period 2012–2017, from USD 10.5 billion to USD 15.3 billion.
  • Currently, value-added products in Tanzania include cotton yarn, manufactured coffee and tobacco, sisal products (yarn and twine), and wheat flour.
  • In line with the 2025 Vision of the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Cooperatives of Tanzania, there should be at least two new products developed from each of the staple crops, horticultural crops, livestock, and fisheries by that year.


Show case yourself and your products to over 6000 visitors from Tanzania and East Africa

The Organizer

WegVoraus is a Business Promoter & Exhibition Organizer Headquartered in New Delhi, India. We work for prospect industry sectors to help them reach out to the right target audience as well as deliver business expansion solutions. Read More.